Monday, October 16, 2006

Recurring Dream

I can definitely believe the theory that recurring dreams are your subconscious trying to get you to acknowledge or fix something in your life. I realized some time ago that I've been having a similarly themed dream ever since I was little. I don't exactly see the significance of it - at least it's not something obviously related to an event in my life.

Basically it's all about elevators. I am being chased by some kind of killer or villain and I run onto an elevator and then it's all about eluding him from there. Choosing the right floors to push, what do you when you get to the floor - run off or stay in the elevator? You have to remember that if he's in the lobby he can probably see what floor you got off on so you have to be tricky and press a bunch of buttons. Usually I'm protecting others in the process, last night it was little cartoon animals and this silly little pig got off on the floor that the killer was on. So of course there was a mad rush to get the pig and get the elevator doors closed which did so just as the killer was about to get us (of course). The details are always different: what the building looks like, what the villain looks like (never can really remember this), the strategies I choose to use, etc.

I swear I've been having this dream ever since I can remember, usually about once every few months. I googled it and most of the results related to eleavtors that crash, stop unexpectedly, or leave the dreamer trapped inside. None of these things ever happen in mine. Hmm, wonder what it means!

2 comments:

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

That's amazing! I don't remember ever dreaming about an elevator, and yet it's your recurring theme!

I have a few themes:

1) Trying to get home but being stuck at the airport, or someone who's supposed to drive me home hasn't shown up. The movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles is essentially this nightmare, given form!

2) Trying to call someone on a rotary phone, and getting one of the last digits wrong, and having to start all over again. This one's become much less common since touch tone phones came along, but I can just imagine how having 10-digit phone #s now would screw me up even worse!

3) Trying to find my locker at high school or realizing I'm enrolled in a course at university that I haven't been attending all semester. I still have this one quite frequently, despite being 20 years removed from either high school or university!

And sometimes I have dreams that include multiples of the above: stuck away from home and can't call my wife because I keep screwing up the rotary phone dialing; or not being able to work the phone to call someone to find out WHERE that course is being held that I keep missing!

Craaaaaaazy.

Anonymous said...

I'm either "skating" (on pavement without skates on)...enjoying the speed of moving that fast and slipping by people...and then I'm being chased.
or
I'm just being chased! Hate those dreams.

Wonder what the elevator dreams mean to you? When would you have first been on an elevator or seen a movie with one in it?