Monday, November 06, 2006

EA Games helps keep me unsatisfied

Say what you will about my generation and our tendencies towards instant gratification and selfishness, but consider that this behavior is really just a construction of the changes in our society as a whole. I do not think it is theoretically possible for billions of people of the same age to willingly change their attitudes all at the same time. So, really it's not our fault it's yours (not you, specifically) for encouraging the shifts in values that have in turn changed the structures that influence our behavior.

Anyways, that little social-psych babble is really just a prelude to my real beef which is with The Sims. I recently purchased an expansion pack which allows your Sims to play with little kitties and doggies (and budgies and hamsters and fishies). Upon excitedly tearing open the packaging, I noticed a small one-page flyer drop out. For a change, it was advertising something actually related to the game I had just purchased, and not Metal Men 3 or some other nonsense.

However, it was an advertisement for the NEXT Sims expansion pack. Not the current one, not one that I can go out and buy in-stores already, but one that doesn't even have a name or a set release date. But the colorful advertisements promises dozens of new key features that guess what - I want now! My satisfaction of the game, even with my new Pets expansion pack, has been greatly diminished by my new ability to imagine in precise detail what these new features will be like. Argh.

2 comments:

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Bwahahahahahahaha!!! Oh wait... you're not joking??!!

Seriously, you need to start living in the now where things like this are concerned. If you stopped and counted all the amazing things that you have available to you right this minute, instead of focusing on the handful of future items that you think you just can't live without, you'd be much happier and appreciative of just how lucky you are.

Anonymous said...

What Matt said.....too funny though. You did take marketing at Ivey...right???