Sunday, November 12, 2006

To Netflix or not to Netflix?

Don't know the impetus for this latest choice - perhaps conversations with Matt and Mom about DVD rentals. So I did some research today and found out that you cannot get Netflix in Canada (I physically could not sign up without a zip code). So I looked on Epinions.com and they recommended either Zip or Starflix. Zip has a much better selection, and their website looked more professional.

Pros:

1) make a list of movies you are interested in and they'll automatically ship them to you when you return your outstanding ones. This is more convenient than having to be all proactive about going to blockbuster.
2) could catch up on all my classics watching (I've somehow never seen the Godfather!)
3) lots of different plan pricing schemes (not just the $28.95 a month that most people seem to have)
4) month-by-month committment, not locked in - can cancel at any time. Means I could give it a try for one month to see if it's actually worthwhile.
5) fairly extensive selection. Zip claims to have 51,000 dvds as compared to 65,000 at Netflix (who say they have nearly every movie that's available on dvd). As an example, I searched for the 7 up dvd series. Netflix had all of them, and Zip had 42up and 49up. Starflix (and all the others I looked at) had none.
6) Zip has the feature similar to Netflix about being "on the honor system" that Matt mentioned one time.
7) speaking of the parental units, they could probably benefit from this too! i forsee dvd bonding.
8) good tv selection as well

Cons:

1) costs money, duh :)
2) not entirely sure how much I would use it, especially with my busy schedule. I would definitely get one of the cheaper, more limited use packages.
3) you can't prioritize your list (of 20 movies) - they'll just send you whatever they have. You can pay a $2.50 "gotta have it" fee and they'll ship it within 24 hrs.
4) if you go over your shipments/month limit, it's a $2.50 fee (but at least it's not impossible to get more).

So ultimately I'll think about whether or not I would use it and probably at least give it a try for 1 month if it will fit into my budget!

Editor's Note: I lied, Zip DOES have the 7 up series! (It's just boxed together as "The Up Series", so when I searched for "7 Up", no results.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! You put more thought into these decisions than most people do into what new car to buy! (OK, maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much.)

Any chance you can list out the various membership options for those of us who haven't done any research?

Anonymous said...

Which one do Katharine and Shane use? Is it Zip because I know they are happy with it.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it about time for a new blog entry out of you? There can't possibly be nothing going on in your life all this week. Or are you saving all your good stuff for that other blog of yours?