Sunday, January 28, 2007

I will never marry a man that ... (pt 2)
















I will never marry a man whose idea of the perfect wedding song is Amazed by Lonestar, Don't Wanna Miss a Thing by Aerosmith, or pretty much any song by Celine Dion. That is just not the boy for me. Not that I'm not willing to compromise... actually it's true, I'm not. That's kinda the whole point of this series. Anyways!

I could go haunting indie, like the Lassie Foundation's El Rey (which I've uploaded here for your amusement if you so choose) or Girls by Death in Vegas (which you can watch here, whilst trying not to look at the images). Both are simple but effective, I think.

Or perhaps more straightforward with a bit of edge like Killing Me Softly, or Lovers in a Dangerous Time.

There's the possibility of just going with one of our/my favorite songs, like Layla or In Your Eyes. Both of which must be played at some point, really.

Finally, there's always the downright odd: White Wedding or About a Girl (Nirvana).

There's a decent list here from which I drew some of my samples (I don't normally think about these things, I promise - I'm not that kinda girl). But it really bugs me that it includes U2's One, which is so clearly not a love song at all.

6 comments:

cjguerra said...

I suggested (and it was accepted) that we use "Lost Together" by Blue Rodeo as our song.

Just looked at the list - some of those songs are really quite depressing at heart. Hope people consider the meanings behind them before they choose them. Kind of like "lust for life" by Iggy Pop used to sell cruise vacations...

cjguerra said...

Audioslave - Show me how to live:

I like this song alot, but it is imploring god to "show me how to live", calling out from a confused sleepless night.

Sarah MacLachlan - Hold On:

This is about someone's love who is going to die soon... Yah good message for your wedding night...

Sinaid O'Connor - Nothing Compares To You
This is about the agony of losing someone. About being in a suicidal depression. Loneliness. Excellent sentiment!

Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm:
A lament sung to an unrequited love of youth. The line most repeated is "the killer in me is the killer in you"...

Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song:
This is a song about how the writer is leaving his old love because of lies and betrayal.

U2 - One:
Not that bad - but it is a song Bono wrote about how he and is wife were dealing with his infidelity. There are the lines like "You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I cant be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt", but the message is to carry on past all that. Not very celebratory.

The White Stripes - Fell in Love With a Girl:
Song about an affair with little long term prospects "shes just looking for something new"

Anonymous said...

My brother and I karaoke'd (yes, once and once only) White Wedding at my sister's reception (which was unique in its own way, a story for another place and time). I let him talk me into it based on the first line ("Hey little sister, what have you done?") but it was about three lines into the first verse that I realized I had no idea what the rest of the words or tune were. Got the sneer down though, if I do say so myself.

In the (unlikely :) event that I find myself getting hitched, I'm definitely looking indie, along the lines of Lenni Jabour's Toujours Tres Doux or Broken Balloon.

Tammy said...

I would totally be up for something like Disarm. Not very appropriate, but totally hilarious / awesome. If greater than 50% of marriages end in divorce, most weddings should have a dark undertone anyways.

JDK said...

I've been to many a wedding because my mom is a wedding photographer, and gah people pick the worst songs ever. "Amazed" is indeed probably one of the worst offenders.

If you'd go with "Girls" by Death in Vegas, you might as well pick a My Bloody Valentine song and confuse all your grandparents.

luke said...

wow i like a lot of the songs on taht list but i think at least half of them are wildly inappropriate for weddings. apparently i'm old-school at heart when it comes to this sort of thing.

a couple picks i think are better than anything on that list that i came up with after thinking for like two seconds:
iron & wine - love and some verses
marit bergman - my love
big star - i'm in love with a girl
(last two are sorta gender-specific but still)

indie-ish songs can be hard because a lot of them, although they're 'love songs' and even asserting that love within the lyrics, are sorta dark at the same time (despite being pretty beautiful musically). for instance:
jose gonzalez - heartbeats
stars - heart

too bad my music tastes will have totally changed by the time i get married probably!!!