Saturday, January 27, 2007

Six hour movies are really daunting

So I'm watching The Best of Youth, a 2003 Italian film following the lives of 2 brothers from the age of 20 to 40 or maybe 60 (they're still 20 at the point I'm at). Oh did I mention that I'm only 1 hour into it and I've been "watching" it for a week now? Part of the problem is that it refuses to play on my DVD player, which means I have to watch it on my laptop and that causes far too many distractions.

But I think there's also something about the fact that it's 6 hours ... it's like climbing Everest and getting bored when you can still see base camp.

3 comments:

JDK said...

I watched the first hour of it and despite really enjoying it, I had to give up because the thought of five more hours was just too daunting. It's the psychological thing of trying to find a six-hour block to watch it in and never finding one and thus watching only small pieces at a time. That, and I'd rather feed my bad attention span with 20-minute episodes of South Park.

JDK said...

To dovetail: a good strategy is to put a piece of masking tape over your DVD player counter and darken it with a sharpie so that you can't see how far into the movie you are. So unless the movie is really bad and you want to know how far it is until the end, you'll force yourself into enjoying the film without constantly checking how far into it you are.

Tammy said...

Haha I used to do that with my clock at work to the same effect!