Sunday, January 14, 2007

Have I Ever Told You About My Veins

Because they're fairly unusual. It just so happens that they are ridiculously tiny and all located conspicuously over arteries. When I went to give blood with Matt, Mom, Vish, Chris, and maybe some others that I'm forgetting about now (it was a few years ago) they tried in vain for 20 minutes or so to find a suitable vein but ended up rejecting me. Last year I went for a physical at my doctor's office, and told the previous story to the nurse. She laughed, implying that the nurses at the blood clinic don't know what they're doing and that she would have no trouble drawing a blood sample. 10 minutes later, she had given up, too. They decided I was young so they didn't really need to test my blood.

I seem to have less trouble with IVs, though they usually need to be inserted into the back of my hand (when I got my wisdom teeth out) or in my wrist (at my most recent hospital visit).

The girl at the blood clinic rather rudely implied that maybe if I worked out my arms more my veins would be more accessible. I took offense.

No comments: