Sunday, January 14, 2007

Forcing myself to eat sushi

is my latest life effort. My first (and only) experience with the questionable food was 3 years ago at a work function (for my last day, I think) at the Harmony Buffet. I don't think it was very high quality food. Anyways, one of my exchange buddies eats nothing but sushi, largely because she claims it is very healthy. Let's consider the facts:

California Sushi Roll:
- rice: check
- seaweed: unknown amount of calories, but really
- avocade: suppose to be good for you?
- cucumber: check
- crab meat: can't be that bad, right
- a little bit of mayonnaise, salt, or sugar: bad

So I tried some on campus the other day, instead of getting my usual pizza or Harveys. I only ate half of it, which was nice because it filled me up quite well. I took the remains home and am eating the leftovers now. Rice doesn't keep well apparently (it's just kind of hard) and I'm not entirely sure that it's safe to eat leftover sushi? I put it in the fridge! Anyways, I don't totally LIKE it yet, but it's not all that bad!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My (lack of) experience with the stuff was from general distrust of the concept—raw fish? you've gotta be kidding!—but I've since seen the light thanks to some specialized restaurants (Wonder Sushi is the place of choice at work, perhaps to be eclipsed by a new one on Richmond at the tracks). I've even developed a taste for sashimi, prompted by a friend at work.

My brother, always the more adventurous foodie, makes his own; he even gave my parents a sushi-making kit for Christmas, which my dad and I used to prepare a meal on Boxing Day under his tutelage. It's easy, and fast!

Can't speak for the campus version (mayo?) but I kept our leftovers in the fridge, tightly wrapped, for a couple of days. Wouldn't want to hold onto them for much longer, but they were still good.

cjguerra said...

California rolls are pretty tame - a good starter! The crab meat can be the "crab meat" that some standard recipes call for - that general fish stuff pressed and coloured.

As far as sashimi or rolls with more raw fish, I'd recommend trying it with someone that has had it before. Try something that you've likely had before like tuna or salmon. In fact, if you've had smoked salmon, you've pretty much had sashimi. The difference is the smoky taste.

What my friend had to convince me, was that the fish wasn't "fishy". That's because, as I found out later, the fish used is much higher quality and much fresher than your typical fillet of sole or Cap'n Highliner. The first thing that I noticed was the texture - it is different, but not unpleasant. Especially for fish I already ate (which was exactly tuna).

After that, I find a sushi or sashimi meal to be quite filling - sits well in the stomach and keeps you energized in a way that a burger does not. Must be all the mercury... er fatty acids doing their stuff.

I'm sure we could round up a few experienced soles (souls) to help you out, if you stop by the office around lunch. I personally like "Tanakaya" in the market - never disappointed with it.

Tammy said...

wow thanks for the great sushi related advice! i might have to take you up on the lunch offer sometime, i'm eager to try the new place on richmond that everyone is talking about. i'm still not sure about eating JUST the raw fish but hey, maybe