Friday, January 12, 2007

Kicked the Crap Out of Those Old Ladies

Well I opted out of drinking for a change, as I was suppose to and really probably should have gone to the Palasad and then Barking Frog on a semi-official exchange student outing. But I shluffed off my buddy duties (it was really a mandatory event, like tomorrow morning where I have to get up at - shudder - 7:30!!). Note that this is teasing because I know most of you have to get up before then every day.

Anyways what I decided to do instead was go play cards at my Grandma's with some of her old lady friends. It started off with Canasta (which I lost, but it's all based on luck anyways), then moved into Euchre (I came in 2nd, and I had terrible cards every hand), and finally my forte because it actually requires a significant amount of skill and luck barely factors into it at all: Old Hell. Also known as Scratch and Bugger Your Neighbour. This is the game where you have to bid on how many tricks you are going to take, given a certain trump suit. See, there isn't much luck involved because if you get bad cards but bid correctly then you do just as well as if you had good cards.

So I didn't really "kick the crap" out of anyone, considering I only won 1 game out of 3, but I thought it made for a suggestive title.

4 comments:

Jimmy said...

I love that game...we called it "screw your neighbour".

Do you play with the rule that the dealer can't declare a number of tricks that would allow nobody to get screwed in a hand? That was a point of contention between me and a guy I used to play cards with all the time.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Quit picking on the senile old folks, for God's sake! They've got one foot in the grave already, and there you are using your 20-year-old, still-at-your-prime brain to punish them!

Oh wait a minute.. I hate old people, don't I? Never mind.. keep stickin' it to 'em!

luke said...

euchre is the best game

Anonymous said...

Go Tammy Go! One of these days you'll learn a truly challenging game. You know the one I mean!