Friday, January 05, 2007

A Note on my love of EW

If you hadn't noticed (even after my explicit mention of it), I seem to have a bit of crush on Entertainment Weekly. Such is not the case, folks! In fact, I find their magazine kind of skims the bottom of the "not quite tabloid" bowl of journalism, along with People and Time. And don't get me started on their idiot of a movie critic, Liz Schwarzbaum. Seriously, don't believe a word she says, she's the devil people!!! Deep breath. Exhale.

Ok, so their magazine is crap, but a lot of their writers are good people (and journalists). I enjoy Dalton Ross and Michael Slezak in particular. I frequent their website so often because it is updated so consistently and with so much content that is relavent to ME. Every weekday morning all significant shows that were on the night before have been "TV Watched". A columnist writes up about 1000 words on what they liked or didn't about the episode, and any other random thoughts. Insta water cooler!

They also have this daily blog called "Popwatch" that brings to light recent happenings (deaths, nominations released) and also a scad of other useful and hilarious things. Many a youtube video has been introduced to me this way (including perhaps the best video of the year, national phenomenon Dick In a Box!!!). I also appreciate their intense love of both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Veronica Mars.

Anyways, just wanted to clarify...

2 comments:

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

It looks like that was just a Saturday Night Live video skit. Did it start life in some other form? Is it a real song, or one that was written for SNL?

Funny video but essentially a one-joke pony. I laughed way more times watching the world's worst sports broadcaster than I did at DiaB (just got me to laugh exactly once).

Anonymous said...

I got a free subscription to EW a while back---can't remember exactly why, but I think it had to do with buying tickets for a show in Toronto---and didn't find horrible. It wasn't something I wanted to continue paying for, though.

Their Buffyverse love continues, in the form of promoting former Angel producer (and executive producer of Firefly, Wonderfalls and The Inside) Tim Minear's new show Drive. From what I've read elsewhere it sounds like it's got a lot of promise---might even last more than thirteen episodes if we're lucky!