Saturday, February 03, 2007

Can't wait to write a travel (b)log

I'm thinking maybe I'll take a paper journal with me, jot down notes and thoughts along the way, and then try to find an internet cafe every few days to transcribe them, along with some pictures. It certainly won't be difficult to figure out what to write every day.

Speaking of that, it's looking more and more like I'll be doing the majority of the trip all by my lonesome. I just don't have any one particular best friend that has the money, desire, and time to go with me. I'm alright with this. As I discovered over the past few days I quite enjoy travelling by myself. I enjoyed being able to choose where I was going to go, and which ways I was going to get lost. Often if you're travelling with someone else it's easy for either of you to get frustrated when the other one insists the wrong way is the right way.

I liked the flexibility of making all the decisions and not having to consult anyone else. Albeit this mainly consisted of what to do during the wait for connecting flights, but it will be much more important in Europe where there are literally thousands of options as to what countries, cities, attractions, hotels, restaurants to visit.

The last few days also weren't all that stressful. All the airports I was in (London, Calgary, Kelowna) were quite small, easy to navigate around, and everyone spoke English. I'm sure there will be many times in Europe where it's getting dark, I have no idea where I am or where to go, no one around me speaks English, and then I'll really wish I had a travelling companion.

Fortunately I know a lot of people in Europe thanks to the exchange programme, although I'm not sure how many of them will have left Canada by May. I have definite plans for Greece (2 girls from work), and hopefully can arrange to travel with friends in a few other places.

Mostly I just can't wait to blog about it!

No comments: